Saturday, October 24, 2009

Paranormal Activity

Horror fans, ghost fans, and anyone who genuinely want to get terrified by a movie will all enjoy this dirt cheap movie for what it is, a purely scary movie. Oren Peli directed this movie with the lowest of low budgets of only $15,000 and creates this movie that plays on all your scenes.

The story is as follows, Micah and Katie have moved in together and Micah finds out that Katie has been haunted by this "entity" since she was 8 years old. Micah then decides to document the paranormal activities that go on in their home. At first things just start building up. Nothing really happens during the day until shit hits the proverbial fan. But the day shots really set up the scenes for the night terrors.

On the plus side of this movie there is no descending once this movie gets going. The most terrifying scene is the final scene when everything goes bananas. I'm not going to spoil anything for anyone but it is the second ending that has been attached to the film.

Originally, the film was released in 2007 at a scary movie festival and took tons of awards. Steven Spielberg caught wind of this and supposedly locked himself in his room because this movie was so scary. But the films ending was changed to really try and get one more massive scare out of audiences.

The scare tactics used in this movie are very simple and easy to pull off but Peli uses your senses and lack of senses to really terrify each person. Though this movie is filmed in another Blair Witch rip off, it's not suppose to be a high budget scare fest.

As a critic of all kinds of movies, I have to say that scary movies are my favorite. I loved being younger and having a movie scare me so badly that I couldn't get to sleep because I was so terrified of the thoughts that the movie put in my mind. Not saying that this movie made me stay up all night, but I have to say this was honestly one of the few movies that actually scared me and had my heart beating faster and harder than it has in years.

Though, I must say that the acting was not the best acting I've ever seen. I also had a tough time believing that Micah and Katie lived in this gorgeous house, since Katie's a student and Micah was a Day trader. It just didn't seem believable for them to be living in such a huge and amazing house.

All in all though, I must say that this was a great movie that kept me on the edge of my seat, literally. But I have to say that this movie easily deserves the 7 out of 10.

No comments: