Thursday, August 12, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

If you have to see one movie this summer, for me it's a tough call between Inception and Scott Pilgrim. If you're looking for the most all-encompassing movie, Scott Pilgrim would win out hands down. This movie is unclassifiable for the simple reason that it has something for everyone, and I do mean everyone. Fight scenes, comedy, romance, Nerdy/geeky stuff; and that's just to name a few.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World is a comic/manga that is meandering through life. His band, the Sex Bob-ombs are good, he's dating a high school girl (though he's 22), and he just ran into the girl of his dreams. Seriously, he has a dream about her and then there she appears. Scott (Michael Cera) eventually finds this girls name is Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) and starts his journey to win her heart. Little does he know, in order to do this he needs to defeat her seven evil ex's.

Simple enough plot right? Well, this movie is anything but simple and ordinary. Throw in the old school 80's Batman "Kapow" and "Thud" along with video game elements like extra lives, and an 8-bit Universal intro and any fanboy of movies or video games will be pleased with this movie.

There literally was one moment where I thought to myself "There has not been a bad scene yet" and true enough, every single scene is brilliant and ripped right from the books. The music was amazing, from the high energy fight songs to the smallest sound effect, or even using Universal's theme in the movi, was placed at the appropriate time. Lights and acting were easily the best part, namely the acting.

Michael Cera still plays the same character he plays in every movie, but it seems that all the other movies were put there to build Scott Pilgrim into a great full flesh and blood character. Though the characters obviously know their in a movie/comic (in the book they reference it a few times) they don't take the acting to seriously, but they are able to pull the aloof-ness of the book into the movie.

I wish that I could say that I have enough to talk about this movie but the truth is I could pick out brilliant moment after brilliant moment throughout this film. Not once did I feel this movie drug in any way. Actually the opposite, with a run time of around two hours, I almost could have sat through more. This movie left such a great feeling in me that I wanted to walk right back in and sit through another showing. That's why I give Scott Pilgrim vs The World a 9.5, wait... make that 9.75 out of 10

No comments: